Saturday, October 25, 2008

Ignorance

My friend says "Nobody knows the answer." Given our moods and momentary philosophical bent, we probably should be wearing all black, drinking coffee and smoking in some cafe with a jazz band playing behind a poet. I'm willing to agree with him so far. Then he says "So there is nothing more. Life is just shit."
This is no good, however. "If you don't know the answer, how do you know that there is no answer? If you don't know, then you don't know either way. Ignorance is ignorance."
"There is nothing more."
"Nothing more that you know of. But look, I agree, sort of. I know that life is just a series of moments, some good, some bad. I just want to do what I can to make more of those moments good. I don't know the answer but I'm hopeful that I can find something better than sitting around feeling lame. Like for example, maybe I could find a way to sit around and be at peace. Or maybe if I pushed my limits more I could do something that demands so much concentration that at least I'd be more focused on the moment, rather than looking at an unchanging future."
"Dude, take my word for it. There is nothing more."
"You seem certain."
"I am."
"I thought no one knew."
"There is nothing to know."

Ignorance slices both ways. If you don't know, then you don't know. To be so certain that something doesn't exist if you can't prove it exists? Hubris.

Is there a real world or is it all just my perceptions? I don't know; I can't prove it either way. Is it possible to attain peace in this life? I don't know; I can't prove it either way. Thus, I am ignorant.

Being ignorant I will not assert that there is no hope for a better future.
Wouldn't it be great if the hope were justified?

I want to believe in the magic of the world; I want to believe that it is ultimately the best of all possible worlds. But I'm a skeptic; I don't know. It's still an open question, and since it is, it seems like I might as well act as if it were true.

No comments: